Our event is a leisure cycle not a race and it takes place on open roads. It is of paramount importance that cyclists obey the rules of the road at all times showing courtesy and consideration for other road users and riding in a manner that is safe to themselves and others. All cyclists participate at their own risk and they must rely on their own ability in dealing with all hazards. We ask that you please obey the instructions of marshals, helpers and support staff at all times.When out on open roads we ask that cyclists ride two abreast when safe to do so and go in single file when necessary.
For good advice on cycling safety follow the link to the Road Safety Authority’s website.
See also the RSA’s Cycle Safety Booklet
Before you start training
• If you have not exercised for some time, it is advisable to visit your Doctor to have a check up.
• Locate your bicycle and also bring that to your local bicycle shop for a check up.
• Get suitable clothing for training. Important to be comfortable and warm at all times.
• Ensure you have key equipment e.g. pump, drink bottle, tyre levers, spare tube, helmet, mobile phone etc.
When you start training
• Working from your training plan, set your time of departure and go at that time. Don’t wait for “perfect” weather !
• If for whatever reason you cannot go out on a particular day, do your best to go out on an alternative day.
• If possible go out with a friend of a similar standard. This will make the training easier.
• Learn to use the gears on your bicycle. Get advice from a friend or from your bicycle shop.
• Peddle in a gear which allows you to spin the pedals freely. Peddling should not feel forced.
• Start steady and maintain a steady momentum during your spin. Keep peddling !
• Bring a drink with you and also some food to eat e.g.chocolate, banana, fruit cake etc.
• Wear a helmet and obey the rules of the road at all times.
• Wear the appropriate clothing for the weather conditions.
After your cycle
• Check your bicycle and keep it clean at all times.
• Rest and recover from your spin
• Prepare for your next training spin !
Some benefits of cycling and training for the Mayo Pink Ribbon Cycle in May: